Did you Know?
- 442,995 children are in the U.S. foster care system.
- About 60% of sex trafficking victims were previously in the foster care or other child welfare system.
- By age 19, the youth (who never placed in a permanent home) are more likely to have a criminal record than a high school diploma.
- 20% of foster care children are homeless when they turn 18.
- There are 123,437 foster children awaiting adoption.
- 7 out of 10 girls who age out of the foster system will be pregnant by the time they turn 21.
Stats from Royal Family Kids of Colorado Springs, https://coloradosprings.royalfamilykids.org, a nonprofit that offers summer camp opportunities to foster kids.
How Can You Help?
There are many ways you can help a foster kid! An article in the Denver Post lists some great ideas!
- Teach an older teen how to itnerview/apply for a job.
- Become a mentor for teenagers.
- Become a CASA, a court-appointed special advocate for a foster child in your county
- Become a foster parent or a respite foster parent to give full-time foster parents a break
- Support a scholarship program for aged-out foster youths
Consider partnering with Pawsitive Kidnections! We work specifically to bring joy into the lives of foster kids by connecting them with trained companion dogs!
$25 donation towards our Buddy Program
The Buddy program is a program dedicated to helping Foster Kids be able to foster an animal from the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region
For Further Reading